Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Tidings

In the past year, we have focused on recognizing the hand of the Lord in our lives—daily. And it is there. As many of you know, due to the economic downturn, Dennis lost his job in May when the bank he was working for laid off everyone outside of the state of California. He decided to venture into the insurance business (something that has interested him for quite some time), and spent a couple months studying for and taking exams to get his insurance license. He is now working for Federal Financial selling life insurance and InsureRight, an independent insurance agency working with multiple insurance companies to sell health insurance as well as property and casualty insurance. It is a slow business to build an insurance clientele, and we have relied on faith, tithing, and food storage—all principles of the gospel we are grateful to have religiously followed throughout our married life. So when the time came, there was no question that tithing would be paid first, and we have been blessed financially as we have not seen a decrease in our bank account although we have had little income coming in and have still had expenses that had to be paid. We are also grateful to have ample food storage and a garden on which we have subsisted throughout the summer, only going to the store (literally), for milk, eggs, bread, and some fresh fruit. How grateful I am for inspired leaders and wise parents whose counsel we followed and have thus been blessed so amazingly in our time of need.

Shaylee started 9th grade this year and loves being at “the top of the food chain” at Willowcreek Middle School. She is surviving French and algebra and loving Seminary. She is learning so much about the gospel, and we have truly enjoyed our family scripture study each morning at 6:45 a.m. We spend 30 minutes reading as a family from the Book of Mormon, then we each read individually for 15 minutes (Shaylee and I are reading the New Testament together, since that is what she is studying for seminary). We enjoy being together for individual scripture study so we can answer questions Shaylee and Devin may have. They are truly blossoming in the gospel. Shaylee is now on a competition dance team for Ultimate Dance and looks forward to the national competition at Utah Valley University, as well as a competition at Disneyland over Spring Break. She is also faithfully working toward earning her Young Womanhood Recognition Award.

Devin is now in the 6th grade and loves his teacher, Miss Albaugh. He is also at “the top of the food chain” at Harvest Elementary, and he is thriving. He completes most of his homework in class and has enjoyed having more time in the afternoon to hang with his friends, which usually means playing soccer at the park on the corner. He is an amazing soccer player and has been one of the stars of his team this season, which he loves. He is also now an 11-year-old scout and is truly exemplifying the characteristics of a scout—he is service oriented and always looking for opportunities to help out.

Aspen started preschool in August and can’t get enough of it. She feels so grown up when she sits at the table with the “big” kids after school and does her “homework.” She already knows all the letters and sounds of the alphabet and can write most of them—she is a pro at writing her name and is starting to sound out short words. She also moved to Ultimate Dance with Shaylee and is enjoying ballet and tap with her new teacher, Miss Misty. Our latest “Aspenism” occurred while reciting one of her favorite poems. I started, “’Twas the night before Christmas and all through the . . .” Aspen responded, “house.” I continued, “Not a creature was stirring, not even a . . . “ Aspen calmly replied, “baby elephant.” WHAT!?! Where does she come up with these things?

Connor is getting too big too fast. What happened to my baby? He turned one in October, and he is wearing (and growing out of) 24-month clothes. YIKES! He loves to say “Momma, Dadda, ‘Lo, Bubble bath, Up, and More.” He is so much fun to interact with, and is already conniving enough to get his big sister (Aspen) into trouble. Where do they learn these things? He loves (surprise) reading books and playing with cars. He is “all boy.” He has recently started walking all over and trying to chase Aspen through the house—I’m in serious trouble!

Shock of all shocks, I was released from playing the organ after seven years. I miss it, but I still get the opportunity fairly regularly, and it is so nice to sit with my family during sacrament meeting (okay, sometimes—I have been “subbing” for the ward chorister, who moved 4 months ago and for whom the bishop has not yet found a replacement—hello, anyone can wave their hand!). I was also released from the bear den this summer, and Dennis and I have enjoyed serving together as Primary teachers for the eight-year-olds. What fun! Even, more fun, we will get the opportunity to teach the Sunbeams in January, and we are so excited! I continue to work at Project Read and recently returned from the national adult literacy conference in Arkansas (the first out-of-state conference I have attended since I’ve had chidlren). As a family, we thoroughly enjoyed our two-week vacation to sunny Florida, including a 7-day Disney cruise courtesy of Grandpa & Grandma Brown. We truly made memories to last a lifetime.

We love you all!

Dennis, Shauna, Shaylee, Devin, Aspen & Connor

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just checked out your blog tonight. I love it. Wonderful pictures, adorable family and good messages too. Love your music.
XOS

Shelly said...

As a former chorister, I must defend us. Anyone can wave their hand, but having been in a branch where someone was waving their hand wrong-it did not work (singing and trying not to laugh is hard).

No, no comparison to the difficulty of playing the organ, but not anyone can wave their hand to the beat.

Your kids are all growing up so fast!