It was such a shock to hear that President Hinckley passed away Sunday night. He has seemed older and more frail of late, but he always seems to keep plugging along. We were at my Grandpa & Grandma Burnett's house watching a life history that my Great Uncle Curt put together when my sister called to tell us. He was such an amazing man!I had the privilege of meeting him when we were both inducted to the American Academy of Achievement in 1996, just a little over a year after he had been sustained prophet. Little did I know what an impact he would have on my life as he continued to serve as the mouthpiece for the Lord for the next 12+ years.
He had an innate ability to make everyone feel loved and special, and he was such a good example--I never felt chastised by him but rather inspired to be better because of his example. He will truly be missed, but I know the Church will continue under the able leadership of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and eventually a new prophet will be sustained. I am so grateful for my testimony of the gospel and the security it gives me. I am grateful for men who live righteous lives and honor their priesthood covenants and are willing to dedicate their time and talents to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
I don't even have a new photo of the first presidency (with Elder Eyring) on my wall yet, so I guess I'll wait until the new first presidency is sustained.
Below are two of my favorite pictures of President Hinckley and his wife. They are both taken by Scott Proctor. What a joy that they are reunited once again!
















No comments:
Post a Comment