Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The White House

I probably should not blog about this, but I am going to. As a preface, I am not racist, or prejudice, and I run a literacy program where 80% of my clients last year were from another country. Some of my best friends in the entire world are from Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

That said, I called the White House yesterday to encourage the Obama Administration to support adding S.609 (Nonprofit Capacity Building Act of 2009) as an amendment to S.277 (Serve America Act). That may not mean much to any of you, but I run a nonprofit organization, so I was voicing my support (I also called the offices of Senator Hatch and Senator Bennett).

Anyway, when you call the White House to leave a message for the president, you have to wait on hold for a live operator (you can't just leave a message). The woman who finally answered my call (after 10+ minutes on hold) didn't even speak English! HELLO! Is this an operator for THE WHITE HOUSE? Are you kidding me? I'm all for supporting immigrants, helping them get ahead in life, etc., but this was ridiculous. I swear I was speaking at 2 words/minute, and she hadn't a clue what I was talking about--is that a Senate bill? What? Huh? She was so confused and I was so irritated. This is the United States of America, and we speak English here. Get help.

Okay, I digress.

1 comment:

Summer said...

I would not have been frustrated I would have been livid. I completely agree.