So I promised some friends I'd add a few more recipes to my list. Today I'm putting on the angel food cake recipe and a southwest chicken salad I've enjoyed recently.
Angel Food Cake
12 eggs
1 1/4 c. confectioner's sugar
1 c. flour
1 1/2 t. cream of tartar
1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract (I haven't ever used this and it still tastes fine)
1/4 t. salt
1 c. sugar
Put egg whites in a bowl and let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, sift the confectioner's sugar & flour 3 times. Then add cream of tartar, vanilla & almond extracts, & salt to the egg whites and beat on high. Gradually add sugar and beat until dissolved and stiff peaks form. Fold in flour 1/4 c. at a time. Spoon into an ungreased pan. Cut with a knife to remove air. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.
Southwest Chicken Salad
1/4 c. lime juice (I've also used lemon juice)
1/4 c. olive oil
1/4 t. salt
1 clove garlic, minced
3 T chopped cilantro (I've used parsley, which also works well)
1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. ground cumin
4 c. shredded romaine lettuce
4 cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 small red onion, sliced into rings (or strips, or diced)
1 large tomato, chopped
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
6 oz. tortilla chips
In a covered jar, mix the lime juice, olive oil, salt, garlic, cilantro, chili powder, and cumin. Cover and shake until well blended.
Place the lettuce in a large bowl. Toss with the chicken, black beans, onion, and tomato. Just before serving, toss with the dressing mixture and Parmesan cheese. Serve with tortilla chips, either crushed over the top of the salad, or on the side.
ENJOY!
Monday, July 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














2 comments:
Mark & I thought about making angel food cake on Sunday, but I thought it was too much work. This recipe doesn't look too bad. You should try almond flavoring. It is my favorite flavor.
I have nothing against almond flavoring--I just didn't have any, and it works just as well without. :) The angel food cake is pretty easy to make. I've actually been halving the recipe and making it in a smaller (8x8) pan.
Post a Comment