Thursday, January 8, 2009

Parenting Backfire

My little three-year old is too smart for her own good sometimes. I asked her to clean up her room (which was an absolute disaster) before dinner. The penalty? Anything left out mom gets until the end of the week. I was cooking dinner while she went in to clean. She went in, took one look at the mess, came back out and calmly told me, "You can have it. How long do you need it? Can I have it back on Friday?" WHAT!?! Well, when I went in with the box to take it she freaked a little and started hauling stuff she really wanted to put it away. I did end up with her new Belle doll, and she's not happy, but she's waiting it out until Friday like a trooper.

Another sad Aspen moment . . . she dressed up Tuesday in her princess outfit and informed me that she was waiting for her dad to come home and be her prince and dance with her. Little did I know, Dennis forgot to tell me about an evening appointment and he wouldn't be home until after 10 p.m. YIKES! She spent the evening in her gown waiting for her prince. Luckily, last night he was home at 8:30 p.m. and I had her get up, put on her gown, and dance with her handsome prince (while a proud mom watched on with tears in her eyes and sang, "I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream.").

Other Aspen greats . . . she has this funny idea that she's going to grow up, marry her dad, and then get to sleep with him in the "big" bed--our children do not sleep with us. Anyway, the other night she was explaining this to Dennis who told her he hoped she would grow up and marry someone nice. She promptly responded, "Right, not someone who kills people." Good distinction Aspen.

3 comments:

Shelly said...

LOL! She's adorable!!

Brown Family said...

I don't know if adorable is the first word that comes to mind some days, but most days, definitely.

Simplymom said...

I love your background!! All of your kids are cute. I'm sure they keep you busy! I love all the fun things they say!